Thursday, December 1, 2011

Teachers in Nebraska

*Photo of Paul Smith from journalstar.com

We had teachers in Nebraska that have attended the Freedom Writers Institute, as seen above, and that is great for our school systems in Nebraska, especially the ones that are struggling.

I had the opportunity to interview one of the Freedom Writers teachers that attended the institute that was not mentioned in the above testimonials. His name was Paul Smith and he was featured in an article in the Journal Star published by Margaret Reist.

Reist Journal Star Article

From Reist’s article she discussed how many teachers have attended the Freedom Writers institute as of August of 2009.

Reist informs us that, “There are currently nine teachers that have been trained using the Freedom Writers Method in Nebraska, which is more than any state except California”.

One of those teachers is Paul Smith from Lincoln Southeast. Smith and 150 other teachers agreed to write the book Teaching Hope (2009). Smith made this comment about the book in Reist’s Lincoln Journal Star article: “I think it’s a book for anybody who is involved in education in any way.” Gruwell asked Smith to attend the Freedom Writers Institute after being recommended by a mutual friend.

I also had the amazing opportunity to interview one of the Freedom Writer’s teachers. He said one comment that struck me and I would like to share it with you.

When I interviewed Smith he made this comment, “I cannot say if this teaching method has changed anyone’s life. So much of teaching is the planting of seeds. I have seen these seeds sprout; I have witnessed change in my students’ lives – for the better. I have had students tell me my classroom is a safe place for them. I believe good things have happened, and will continue to happen” (Smith). The Freedom Writers Institute is a life-changing experience and I would love to go after I begin teaching.

*Information taken from the Lincoln Journal Star website and Paul Smith, e-mail interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment