Thursday, December 1, 2011

What is this?

My name is Megan Jorgensen. I am here to investigate the Freedom Writers and give future teachers, like me, a resource to help them in their classroom. The Freedom Writers are a group of students that lived in California. These students defied all odds and succeeded to graduate from high school and go on to college. They overcame gangs, stereotypes and the belief of their own school with the help of Erin Gruwell to become the Freedom Writers today.

Throughout this blog, I am going to investigate the Freedom Writers to give teachers now and teachers in the future a resource to help them understand what Erin Gruwell did with the Freedom Writers and how you can reproduce a replica of what she did in your own classroom. I am going to give background on the Freedom Writers including the major motion picture that was recently made and the four books that have been published involving the Freedom Writers.

I had the opportunity to meet two of the Freedom Writers and interview teachers that have used the Freedom Writers method within their own classroom. There is now a Freedom Writers Foundation website that Erin Gruwell runs currently with an abundance of great information on there that I will walk you through as well.

As there is in many topics, there is conflict with the Freedom Writers as well. I will share with you that conflict and my opinions as well as others that include the conflict.

I want to serve as a resource for the Freedom Writers fandom and immerse myself within that fandom. I am an education major with an emphasis in English and I want to emphasize this in my own classroom. I am vey passionate about this subject and excited to share this passion with you and the field of education. I hope that you feel just as much inspiration as I do with this topic. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment